The challenges for a Director Shop Floor Systems & Manufacturing IT working in Aerospace and Defence include ...
Increasing flexibility and modularity in production processes
A lack of flexibility and modularity causes a number of challenges, including:
- Ability to implement Industry 4.0 strategy limited by inﬂexible production processes
- Inability to proactively correct for real-world deviations from the production plan
- Process blind spots limit awareness of impending disruptions
- Processes can’t adapt to changing circumstances because of inflexible work zones and identiﬁcation strategies
- Inability to integrate new products into existing plants because rigid work zones and identiﬁcation triggers can’t accommodate a high degree of product variability
- Waste associated with manual approaches to creating ﬂexibility
Standardising production tools and processes
For Business Transformation Officers seeking to standardise production tools and processes, SmartSpace is the single unifying platform that can be tailored to address a wide range of production applications and adapt to plant-specific production strategies.
In any process where movement demands a need for location context, SmartSpace becomes the single hub for visibility and control applications, seamlessly connecting all departments across materials handling, assembly, finishing and shipping.
For global manufacturers who must accommodate local deviations from their best-practise blueprint, SmartSpace is the common platform which can be effortlessly tuned to meet the needs of plant-specific visibility and control strategies.
Filling the data-gaps inherent in real-world processes
These data gaps cause a number of challenges, including:
- Lack of situational awareness required to coordinate complex production ﬂows
- Hidden process performance issues causing low productivity
- Poor planning because of out-of-date production status from manual paper-based reporting
- Continuous improvement limited by an inability to measure and characterise actual production ﬂow
- Lack of situational context for enabling self-conﬁgurable processes
- Ability to implement Industry 4.0 strategy limited by departmental data silos
- Cost of verifying that dynamic processes are correctly staged and conﬁgured
- Additional capital expense through an inability to maximise use of available resources
SmartSpace Asset Monitor
SmartSpace monitors the location of tools and equipment throughout multiple production sites, where build and test processes are widely dispersed. Operations teams can now instantly find required resources, increasing productivity and decreasing order-to-delivery times by eliminating search waste.
SmartSpace Compliance Monitor
SmartSpace brings multiple different assembly and MRO verification processes together in a reliable, digital build record for complex products and assemblies. With both real-time and digital-ledger capabilities integrated into one platform, operations teams can rely on SmartSpace to immediately identify non-conforming tool, equipment or parts use within their assembly process, while quality and compliance teams gain a digital build record that is unmatched in both detail and reliability.
SmartSpace Production Logistics Monitor
Ubisense monitors the flow of kits and subassemblies in the plant and detects deviations from plan creating a real-time view of status and alerts. Operations teams can now proactively maintain JIT and JIS flow from origin to point of use with the aid of real-time guidance and automatic verification.
Industrial IoT at enterprise scale
SmartSpace is an enterprise platform that uses location and identification from any source to create visibility of real-world objects and their interactions, enabling complex manufacturing processes with high levels of variability to be more flexible, easier to manage and easier to control.